Thursday, November 17, 2011

Making a difference

I received this message today. I finished my Peace Corps service over a year ago and this weekend will mark 2 years since I conducted my first girls empowerment camp-Women2Women. Warmed my heart and brought a smile to my face to know that I made a difference....

Hello Courtney,
The Speaker (Speaker of the House/Parliment) received in audience the Head of Mission at the American Embassy in Lilongwe who was paying a routine courtesy call on the Speaker. Naturally, the envoy went on to outline her governments commitment to continue building on areas of bilateral support which includes the Peace Corps initiative of which you served under.


In reply, the Speaker singled out the outstanding mark you left in his constituency particularly the initiative on girls self realisation and focus on their empowerment. The envoy was most impressed that through Peace Corps , there was such an acknowledgement of its impact. Arising from this, the envoy asked for your contact which without consulting you I gladly passed on to her so that in turn you can pass on contacts of your colleagues that partnered you in that wondrous effort.

Courtney, thank you so much for the opportunity to work with you and do expect contact from the American Embassy.


These words came a time were I needed a little push to keep doing the work that I do even though sometimes I fail to see the impact it has.

No comments:

Post a Comment