Wednesday, September 26, 2012

In the business of serving others

As a senior in HS I took a class that had a component that required students to create an independent project of their choice. I chose to focus on homelessness and as a part of that project I took a service learning trip to Nashville, TN. I had the opportunity to work with a few different agencies in Nashville that focuses on supporting the needs of the homeless. An organization that we spent a few days volunteering with was Room in the Inn (Campus for Human Development). This organization provided several much needed services to a population of people society often times overlooks or sees as a burden. Knowing that I will be returning to Nashville the following fall for school, I stored this organization in mind so that when I returned I could find out more about what they do and become a volunteer.

Around this time 5 years ago, I became an employee of Room in the Inn's Campus for Human Development, closely working with those the organization serves. I have been saying either aloud or in my head since I was in the Peace Corps that I want to eventually become by own boss and begin my own non-profit. Now that I reflect on this idea more and really begin to take the steps to make it happen, I can't help but think about the influence this organization has had on my perspective to community and human development. I have had my fair share of experiences working and volunteering in the non-profit world. Some positive and some not so positive, but all have taught me something in regards to how I would approach the business of serving others. None of these organizations have taught me how to truly serve others and still run an organization efficiently then Room in the Inn (Campus for Human Development).

I'm going to go on a bit of a rant here, but hear me out. Nothing gets under my skin more than a non-profit organization that sees those it serves as a number opposed to a human being (or living being). Yes, there is a business aspect to running non-profits because let's face it, they don't run on air. But because there is a business aspect it, it does not mean that the human, or humanity, aspect needs to suffer. I don't understand why more organizations don't feel that they could do this, don't feel they have to do this, or don't think it is necessary to do this. What's the purpose of serving others if the service you are providing doesn't come from the heart? At the end of the day, anyone experiencing a trauma or difficult situation in their life, needs validation that their presence is valued and how do you value that presence if you don't value the connection with the being and instead only see it as a number? I'm all about community development, I all about helping the next person (and let my mom tell you, I should stop giving my services away for free...LOL), and i'm for those things because I have realized the value of community and human development, when one wins then only one benefits, when many win, many benefit and because as they say "we're only as strong as our weakest link" then why don't we truly, really, want to invest in individuals to strengthen those links?

Back to Room in the Inn. In the 5 years that I have been involved with this organization in some type of capacity, I have witnessed the true meaning of community. From the Founding Director to Executive Director, staff, volunteers, and most important those being served, everyone, and I mean everyone, at some level was connected to the mission through their service. I have never worked for an organization that valued learning people's names as much as this organization. It wasn't surprising to see the Founding Director of Executive Director interacting with the participants (the term used to describe those utilizing services-they are active participants in their own development) or lending a helping hand when needed outside of their role assigned duties. At the end of the day, this organization found individuals who believed in the mission as much as the Founding Director does, and utilizes their skills to serve others while focusing on the importance of human connection in service to others. In addition to the stress on human connection, the volunteer support is something you don't see often with non-profits. Yes, there are those that do no agree with the work that is being done, but the action of those that do speak louder than the naysayers. The volunteers that serve through Room in the Inn have filled gaps where resources were not available, they exhibit the true meaning of community and as I said before, believe in the mission of this organization just as much as those that work there. 5 years later, i'm still reflecting, still in awe of this organization and the work it does and how it continues to operate with the integrity that was presented when it first began over 25 years ago in a church  with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

So why am I bringing this up? As I said, i'm beginning the process of really thinking and working towards my dream of starting my own non-profit and when I think of how I would like that non-profit to look, I envision something very similar to what I saw and experienced at Room in the Inn. My hats off to this organization because they are doing something (and something pretty big) the right way (atleast in my eyes) and are a good example for any organization in the business of serving others.

(for more information about Room in the Inn checkout http://www.roomintheinn.org/)

No comments:

Post a Comment