Monday, May 9, 2011

Little by little...

What an eventful trip it has been so far. After being dropped off at Dulles airport, I proceeded thru ticketing, security, and to the gate where I made last minute phone calls and relaxed before departing on a journey of a lifetime. I lucked out that when the ticketing agent found out I was heading to South Sudan, she was familiar enough with the situation there and moved me to a middle section aisle seat in a row by myself (I guess she felt sorry for me). I got on the plane and prepared for my departure. I was a bit nervous but more tired than anything, I was looking forward to getting to Nairobi where I could stay in a hotel for the evening and stretch out on a real bed. Although the food on the airplane was good (we had Indian for dinner and they were generous with the wine!); the movie, music and tv show selections were not. I spent a great deal of time sleeping, eating, or listening to the poor music selection. By the time I woke up again it was time for the morning muffin to be served and for us to prepare for an arrival at London’s Heathrow Airport. We arrived and had to walk down the plane, out on to the runway and into a shuttle bus. We arrived at 9:10am, the shuttle bus departed at 9:38am and I had until 10am to get through security and to my gate…on the other side of the terminal. I ran…I prayed…I ran some more, but I got to the ticketing gate to my next flight 5 minutes too late. At this point I saw my bed drift away. I was hot, sweaty, and on the verge of crying out of frustration. I walked to the ticketing counter in order to find out when the next flight was. I was informed that British Airways has only one flight that services Nairobi per day so I could get placed on the next flight out on Kenya Airways departing at 8pm. Now its 10am after an almost 8 hour flight and now I’m going to have to wait 10 more hours to depart for Nairobi hopefully arriving in time to catch my next connecting flight to Juba, South Sudan. The flight to Juba is at 7:30am Tuesday morning; my flight gets in from London at 6:30am. After what happened with my first connection, my hope that I would make it to my 2nd connection is pretty non-existent. I found out if there were other flights to Juba and there is at 2pm. Although I wouldn’t be all that thrilled about sitting around Jomo Kenyatta Airport in Nairobi, I wouldn’t be all the upset either seeing as I already had to wait longer than the flights I’ve been on.

If you’re not familiar with this beast of an airport (London Heathrow), well, to me it puts any American airport to shame (and I’ve been to a lot). I couldn’t even tell you where exactly I am in this airport or how I got here, but I’m here and after wandering aimlessly about thinking about what I’m going to do for 10 hours I came up with a plan. First, shower. Thank you Jesus they have free showers in this terminal unlike the other terminal where it is 10 or 15 pounds (I still can’t figure that out in dollars, I know it’s a lot though). I showered, changed clothes, made some purchases, used my voucher for a meal, walked aimlessly, chatted online, walked aimlessly, shopped, walked aimlessly, napped, walked aimlessly, and will finally board a plane in the next hour. It’s interesting to watch the plethora of people who are coming and going, I don’t think I have heard English all day and was asked at lunch if I wanted water that was still or sparkled. I have walked past and witnessed several airport staff speaking of their drinking endeavors or cussing, or both… interesting people to say the least and the diversity is astounding. I mean everyone opens their mouth and sounds British but you can look at them and know there is some other goodies in their genes. I must say the airport is a good place for some good people watching and if you’re like me then you create stories behind those people and where they’re going or where they came from.


I keep telling myself being confined to this airport is good practice for when I’m confined to a compound. Malawi gave me good practice of entertaining myself for hours on end so I’m guessing I’m as prepared as I’m going to be.

I already know I’m getting 3 seats to myself again, I asked for it to be that way and what Courtney wants she gets (although that is true, the plane is half full and I was asked where I wanted to be seated and I gave that preference-no demands on my part). Let’s hope that having 3 seats to myself isn’t any indication of me missing flights and if it is, I guess I’ll get to know Kenyatta airport as well…

No comments:

Post a Comment