Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I'm like fine wine, I get better with age

In 8 days I will celebrate a birthday. I love birthdays. My birthday, your birthday, any day that we can celebrate life is a great day. Birthdays, particularly mine, is my favorite holiday. I love birthdays because it gives us an opportunity to reflect on the past year(s) of life. This past year has been full of transformations and transitions, and at times I could only wonder just what in the hell I'm doing and what is going on. But as I move forward to a new year, I look back on the last with a smile on my face. With the good came some bad, but mostly good. I have traveled quite a bit, made new friendships, tested myself in ways I didn't think possible. I have made some decisions that may not have always been in my best interest and I have done things that I may not look back on fondly, but that's life. In all of those experiences there was a lesson and I have learned some valueable lessons in this past year...

1. Think highly of yourself and do not let people tell you any different. I take pride in the person that I am and believe that I am a pretty good person. Sometimes people can't accept it and that's their problem to deal with.
2. Don't force a square peg into a circle. If something is not working, don't dwell on it. Life is too short to get caught up in something that may never fit together perfectly (or as perfect as you want it)
3. Don't be afraid to be passionate about something or someone.
4. Don't be afraid to be honest with people about how you feel and don't be afraid of the feelings you have.
5. Don't be ashamed that your own happiness is your priority.

I will spend the remainder of 25 reflecting, appreciating, and being happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment