Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Why?

Recently I was asked by a friend why am I the way that I am, why do I get up and move half a world away to live outside my comforts?

Immediately I thought of the saying "to whom much is given, much is required" or something like that. I decided to look it up to find out the origins of this.

"But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." Luke 12:48

I believe this wholeheartedly, I have been presented with several opportunities throughout my life and if it wasn't for those opportunities I would not have had the blessings and experiences that I have had. I feel as someone who has been given something by someone else, it is important to pass it forward, in whatever way I can. It's a sacrifice for me to give up my life in DC to come to South Sudan but the sacrifice is so pale in comparison to what people sacrifice here and all over the world everyday. Being able to see this and learn from this, I am able to grow confidence in myself, establish strong relationships with those that I surround myself with and most importantly appreciate and not take for granted the gifts that have been blessed upon me.

What keeps me going? Support from family and friends, the belief that what i'm doing is making a difference even if I can't see it, knowing that i'm growing, learning, and exposing myself to the realities that are outside the ones I'm familiar with.

I can't say  that I will be quick to jump up and move half way across the world forever, but if the opportunity presents itself, i'm in position to go, and my hearts tells me to then I will. Who know where the wind will blow me but I know wherever it is, is where i'm suppose to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment