Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Coming home.

Not today. Not tomorrow. Not next week.

In 35 days, I am scheduled to be on a flight back to the states. At first, I was strongly considering extending my time here....like really considering. After a lot of prayer, a lot of weighing of options and a whole lot of thinking, i've decided that I need to come home. There are several things that weighed in on my decision. If I extended, it would only be 3 months and the type of work/impact I would like to have would require a longer committment. I think the thing that was a reoccuring thought was the fact that I put my life in the states on pause to come here and we all know eventually when you pause to long, you have to start over. I have slowly began establishing myself and getting settled in DC, I haven't even explored what all the city has to offer. If I were to extend I know at the end of that 3 months I would have the same feelings I have now, that I haven't had that much of an impact, haven't contributed fully and to my best abilities and that there is still more to accomplish. There will always be more here...atleast for a long while. If it is in the cards for me to come back to South Sudan, then i'll make it back.

I have family, friends, an awesome home to live in, awesome housemates, my mom, friendships that are forming, not to mention a whole year of grad school to finish and those seems to take precedent over anything that could keep me here. I love being here and have enjoyed my time immensely, but I need a break from this life for a bit.

See you stateside!


No comments:

Post a Comment