Thursday, July 28, 2011

Finding my place

Lately I have found myself really reflecting on where I belong. I don't think that question will ever be answered completely but I know that every experience will lead me closer to that place. That place. Where is that place i'm supposed to be? it's confusing as I try to balance to worlds, my life in the states and my life outside the states. I want both but know that I can't physically be in two places at one time.

My experience in South Sudan has revealed to me quite a bit about what it is that I want and where it is I want to be. I can not see myself not being connected to Africa, to the world, but I also can not see myself giving up my life in the states either. I also know that working within a large organization is probably not the best fit for me. Although being a part of a large organization has taught me a great deal, it has shown and discouraged me a great deal as well. I feel disheartened by this experience, not because it was bad, but because what was revealed to me about the nature of this work may not always be what we think it is and not everyone has the best intentions or are serving for the right reasons.

My passionate is working with people. I like feeling connected, I like hearing stories, I like know that the ones i'm serving are not just numbers. I like the emotions that are shared, I like the bonds that are made and the memories created.
My time here is wrapping up, in less than two weeks I will be on a plane to Nairobi to begin my vacation before classes begin. I've decided that this semester I will take a break and not overdo the working. I will go back to my job at the shelter part-time and will continue with school full-time. I do plan on doing a lot of volunteering and getting back to that place I know I am supposed to be. With the people.

Whether in DC or elsewhere. My place is with the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment