Sunday, January 1, 2012

Reflections

Like many, the new year is one of my favorite times of the year. Actually, the new year next to my birthday (which is conveniently shared with someone else) IS my favorite time of year. I think quite a bit, i'm always thinking; sometimes about perplexing life situations other times about random things I perceive while walking up the street or people or whatever pops up at the moment. I am always thinking. Sometimes I think way to much, over analyzing, breaking it down piece by piece moment by moment to understand what lesson is being presented, what is it that I need to know. Anyway, the reason why I love new years (and my birthday which is 6 months after) so much is the focus put on reflection. Sometimes we make it through life, going through the motions without actually thinking about how those motions have created our lives to be what they are and how a change, any change, in those motions can change the lives we are creating. I love reflecting and next to thinking of random things, I am often reflecting on something I've done, something i've said, something i've thought, to gain a better understanding and sometimes appreciation for whatever happened in those moments. We all have things that can be approved upon, we all have things that we need to learn and sometimes we are our own best teachers. Reflecting allows us to learn what was done well or what needs to be changed. I'm a big fan of looking at lessons learned (I have  a previous post on them) and as a new year is beginning, I would like to look at the lessons learned in the previous year.

1. Never give with the expectation of receiving something in return. This goes for anything. I hate when people complain about giving someone a dollar that is begging because they think they're going to spend it on alcohol or drugs. Ummm...if you are that worried, then don't give and don't say anything. We have no idea what that person is going to do and once you give something to someone its theirs. Don't worry about that dollar, you gave it for a reason and once it has left your hands, its time to let go of thoughts of what it may be used for. This also goes for love. Love everyone freely, with no reservations and you would be surprised at the amount of love you receive in return without having to ask. We all know i'm a sucker for love and all that jazz and I have no problem letting people know I like, care, love, appreciate (whatever action word) them. I do not do this to get some type of reaction in my favor out of them, my own personal validation is not based on how others feel about me and I enjoy the feeling of being able to put a smile on the face of someone else. Pass the love on!

2. Be patient. This past year has taken me all over (literally and figuratively). My ideas of just where I am headed were across the board and I just wasn't sure what exactly it is that i'm going to do, I just wanted to do it and be doing it...now. There is a process for everything. Nothing happens overnight and there may be sometime before a plan becomes an action. As stated in lessons learned, don't be afraid to go after what you want...and wait patiently for it to come. There are several things I want, I want to be my own boss. I want to change the world, I want a wonderful husband, I want stability, love, peace and happiness. All things that I want, I believe will happen...in time. As for now, I need to enjoy the road that is leading me to all that I want, take the necessary steps to getting what I want and to be patient through it all because everything has always worked itself out...and often times in my favor :)

3.Keep the faith. My experience in S.Sudan was extremely discouraging on several levels. I didn't realize this until after the fact and this experience almost pushed me away from what I am passionate about that was until I realized that its just one experience in many and one bump of many to throwing me off my path. I am a firm believer in faith and holding on to ones faith to get through difficult, sometimes hard to understand situations. I use my faith as guidance when navigating through difficult situations, knowing that wherever i'm led i'm supposed to be there. I have been led to where I am and one bump in the road is not going to throw me off my path; that bump may create a new path to be followed and i'm ok with that.

4. Trust your instincts. This goes hand in hand with faith. If you have faith that where you are being led is where you are supposed to be, then you will have no problem trusting your instincts. Instincts, I believe are God's way of telling you where he wants you to go.Trust it, appreciate the lessons presented and know that wherever the end is you're supposed to be there.

5. Take risks. Do not be afraid to take a risk if your instincts are telling you to. Yeah you may fall flat on your face or the end may not have been what you expected or hoped for, but there's a lesson there you are meant to learn. Everything happens for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment