Sunday, March 4, 2012

Conversations with a Cab Driver

After work last night I decided to meet up with a couple of friends for some late night sushi and conversation. Since I decided that I wanted to do my shopping for the week before I had to be at work the next morning, I did not make it a late night and left around 1:15am. Aware of the time and the time I was planning on waking up, I hailed a cab instead of waiting for the last 80 bus of the night. A couple cabs came, actually I let about 5 pass me before hailing a cab just because the other drivers looked a bit sketch and having a few run ins with sketch drivers I decided to follow my instinct and wait for the right one. So I hop in the cab and as I always do, share a greetings, check to see how the driver's day went and as we exchanged a few pleasantries about music, where we were from and what constitutes calling a place you're hometown etc.. and then cab driver began sharing his story. He was from VA, grew up in DC and had his fair share of run-ins with the law which resulted in him spending a good portion of his youth and young adult years in and out of prison. He then informed me that at 50, he went back and got his G.E.D and was planning on attending graduation in June. Having worked with adult learners in several different environments, I have witnessed how difficult it can be to return to school after so many years and finish. When he told me this, I naturally told him I was proud of him because I was, it's a big deal to return to school after over 30 years and complete and compete with those much much younger than you. Although my words, a natural reaction when someone accomplishes something and didn't mean much to me, meant a lot more to him. See after our 35 minute conversation (mind you I was only 7 minutes from my house) he told me that although people congratulated him and said they were happy that he did it, he never had anyone say they were proud of him and because I did he could truly look at his accomplishment with pride. When I went inside and began winding down for bed, I couldn't help but replay the conversation in my head and then think about the power of words. Something so simple as saying your proud of someone, or asking about someone's day, or sharing other kind words can have a profound effect on the individual and their own perception of self. We may not see them as important, but we never know and will never know sometimes.

Of course I was touched that he informed me of the impact of my words and although sometimes it can be easy to use words to tear down others, i'm going to do my best to be conscious of the power of my words and use them to uplift others.

1 comment:

  1. girl thats an amazing story! i love when i can give to someone in anyway that i can and you have that awesome spirit. keep it moving!

    ReplyDelete