Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The things I carry.

It's that time of year, when we begin to transition from winter to spring and for some this may include some serious spring cleaning. I have a habit of acquiring more things than I need and every year I find myself getting rid of a huge pile of things and giving away a huge pile of clothes. Although at the time of purchase or acquisition the item seemed like it fulfilled a need but over time it like others would just accumulate dust in the back of the closet, in my bookshelf or under the bed. I try to live as minimally as possible and with the things that I need and use...consistently. So as I look around once again and figure out what will be donated or thrown away, I know for sure there are a few things that I could never get rid of. These things contain the memories that will be carried with me on every step of my journey.

If you're like me, you have a few possessions that have a special meaning and enhance your life in some sort of way. In the last week or so, I found myself looking through these possessions, figuring out just what they mean to me and why I choose these items opposed to others to hold on to. These items, have traveled around the world with me (ok I haven't made it around the world but they have seen me through two stints in Africa). These prized possessions are a crooked cross, brown journal, a book from my mom and little red heart. These possessions have entered my life at various times and carry a level of importance that I can hopefully articulate here. If not, just know they're really, really, really important to me. You see, the first thing I acquired was the crooked cross. I received this as a gift from my first job out of undergrad. It was given to me at my final staff meeting as I was getting ready to relocate back to Chicago to relocate to Malawi. Now I knew ahead of time that I would be receiving this as it was tradition for them to give a cross to an individual who was departing that represented their character and role at the shelter. The cross a representation of how imperfect but perfectly unique we all are as individuals is a reminder to see all for the imperfect perfectly unique individual they are. It reminds me to approach all with compassion, care, and kindness as we all are different but special in our own way. I find this to be significant with the work that I do, I interact with people from all walks of life (both in my domestic work and international work) and if I was unable to appreciate the gifts they bring and the individual they are, I would have a hard time understanding and trying to serve them.

The next being a brown journal, this journal has gotten me through some of my most uninspired, unmotivated, saddest days. You see, this journal was a gift from a friend that was given to me just prior to my departure to Malawi. At a farewell party this journal was passed around to those who were present to sign their well wishes as I embarked on a new journey. Although the relationships with some of the people who wrote in the journal have changed over time it still feels good to know there are people who believe in me and the work I do just as much as I do. Over the years I have acquired more messages and notes that I keep in the journal and any day that I need a little pick me up, I open my journal and read through those messages all over again.

Another forever keepsake is a book given to me by my mom just before I left for Malawi. Actually she snuck it in my suitcase and I discovered it in Philly my last night in the states. She inscribed a message on the front cover that went a little something like this: "My Dearest Courtney, ...I hope that you never forget your worth to me, the world and most importantly to yourself" Anytime I start doubting my worth, anytime I hit a road bump that has me questioning myself, I read this message then I read the book and become empowered to keep pushing, keep smiling, and keep being the best that I can be.

 Last but not least is a little gift I picked up while in Kenya. A little red heart. I actually picked up two, one to carry with me wherever I go and one to leave at home (and to give to someone much deserving of it). I've stated this before and will state it again I love love. I love giving, I love receiving and I love witnessing it. This little red heart keeps me ground in love and reminds me to carry love wherever I go and share it with whomever I come in contact with.

When I think of these things that I carry, particularly the little red heart, I feel like anything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment