Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Huff and Puff

I can understand how the three little pigs felt when the big bad wolf was trying to blow their houses down...

I’m tired. Sleeping in a tent can be exhausting at times. For the past two nights, I have been awakened by strong winds. The first night the winds blew the flaps of my tent open leaving me frightened that  a. someone was trying to get in my tent  b. a dog or hyena wanted to make their bed in my tent. Neither of these were the case, but when you’re fast asleep and here the velcro of your tent rip open, your mind travels in every which way. After scoping out the situation, I went back to sleep. Last night the winds were much stronger, causing my tent to sway a bit. I woke up with the image of me rolling like tumbleweed in my tent through the compound. As I lay in bed trying to get back to sleep, my mind began to think about the people who are stuck outside, who live in poorly built living structures made from subpar materials and are not much of a boundary between the people and the harsh elements. My tent is probably 100 times more sturdy than a lot of the homes that I have seen, that I have heard about, and that are non-existent. Although I am grateful for my tent, I couldn’t help but think about what I am going to do, knowing what I know.

Lucky for me the owner of the tent that I am staying in comes back today which means I’m moving! Yeah, who gets excited about moving tents? I do because the tent that I’m moving into is my friend Admire’s (he left for leave) and he has a little mini-refrigerator in it along with being closer to the showers/toilets and not directly in a location where the winds will be strong. I’m moving to prime real estate I tell you and hopefully tonight I will sleep through the night.

Tomorrow will be my first training and although I'm slightly nervous, i'm not worried that there will be problems. I am scheduled to travel to another county at the end of this week but now I am afraid that I may get stuck there with the rains and lack of fuel or get stuck here due to both the issues mentioned.

Last night I almost was left in town by accident. A couple of my co-workers went in to town for a bit and as we were getting ready to leave, I put my bottles of water in the car then went back to use the restroom and as I was walking out of the restroom I saw the taillights of our vehicle pulling out the parking lot and begin driving up the road. Thankfully they noticed I was missing before they gone far and came back for me. It was funny but my colleague Peter, the driver, was very apologetic.

The most asked question I get is where is my husband. Ha! It's unusual here to be my age and not married. I always say I will get married when I find a man that cooks and cleans. The questioning stops pretty quickly after that response.

No comments:

Post a Comment