Thursday, June 30, 2011

Reality Check

(Please read critically and know the not everyone here falls into what is happening; what is being stated is not a picture of all of South Sudan and this email is not to generalize the population. Above all, know that i'm safe)

I'm careful of what I say because I don't want to misinform anyone of the situation here. I don't want to paint a picture of a reality that may not really be the reality and I know that you really can't believe everything that you read. In 10 days, Africa's newest nation will be born. I'm excited but at the same time scared of the fate of this country. I have been somewhat silent on the situation here because I don't want to alarm anyone (particularly my family who get these updates) but I don't know how to put it any other way, the situation here is bad and it will continue to be bad. I'm not in a guerrilla warfare, bombs are not dropping around me and I don't hear gunshots everyday (most of the time its happy shooting...like the other night for the lunar eclipse they were shooting. I was in the field so I missed it but my colleagues told me the funny stories of people running for cover because they thought they were under attack. I guess its good to find something to laugh about in these situations).  Those that are hopeful see the impending independence as the answer to solving the soon to be country's problems, but it's not and it won't. Although the major concern is the conflict between the north and south, there is another conflict brewing and only in time will we be able to see how it plays out. One of the generals in the SPLA (Sudan People's Liberation Army-the army of the south) feels like the current government of South Sudan is marginalizing his people and that there is not an equal representation of his people and other tribes within the new government. This guy-Peter Gadet- has formed his own militia group that is responsible for attacks in towns along the border. Currently, there has been some clashes on the other side of the border-South Kordofan-which the northern army is responsible for, but those on this side (southern) the north is not responsible for directly (indirectly they can be supplying arms). There were attacks in Turalei and Akun and there is a possibility of them moving further south in order to surround Abyei. This is all speculation and reports that have been given by various security officials, there is no way of really knowing until something happens or you are told directly from the source. There has been a rise of military on the roads and this will probably continue to increase over the next coming days and weeks. The situation is currently unpredictable and although we all are hoping for the best, we are preparing for the worst.

In terms of human development, I would say if you put it on a scale it would be in the negative. There is hope, but there would need to be an aggressive overhaul of systems, development measures, and capacity building to make things better. I'm not an expert, but from what I see and what I hear, there's a lot that needs to be done to bring this country to a point where it can begin to think about longer term development. There is a lot of mistrust among the people and because of this it is difficult to get anything done. UNICEF distributed mosquito nets and because they were white people refused to use them due to them being highly visible and fearful that people who are trying to attack them will see them or they think the nets are the government's way of spying. Many will use the nets to create stalls for their animals or to tie other things together. While a woman is breastfeeding, she refrains from having sex, it doesn't curb reproduction because her husband will just take on another wife to have during this time and when that one gets pregnant, he will take another one. Condoms, family planning, HIV/AIDS/STI prevention, all of that are not available. The health centers are..yeah. If they're there they may not have drugs or staff or even open. Guinea worm is a huge issue due to people using open and contaminated water sources. Farming techniques are not there and a family will cultivate a small plot not thinking of longer term food security. Malnutrition rates in this state alone are immeasurable. Hygiene and sanitation, that is a whole other issue. Latrines are pretty non-existent except at locations such as health centers and schools that have been constructed by international NGOs. Kids don't go to school because they're not protected. In the past they could have went to school one day and then a raid occurred and they lost their family. Or they don't have clothes to wear to school. Or there are no teachers. Or there are no books, no materials. Child soldiers are a huge portion of the population, these (mostly) men are now working in the private or government sector and still carry the mentality of being a soldier, don't trust anyone and at times can be aggressive. There is more a hand out mentality than a hand up and for the most part believe that if you want them to have something you will give it to them, otherwise let them be. The reasoning is valid and although I would want to be able to wave a wand and fix everything, its going to take a generation or two to really turn the situation around here. But as they say, Rome wasn't built overnight and neither was the US, so although they are starting from the very beginning, it is possible that things will turn around. For now this is their reality and I have to accept it and accept that this time around I won't do much to change anything.

I've been conflicted because I don't want to make the situation out to be more than what it is but I have to look at reality and trust that what I'm seeing and what I hear is the truth. Of course there is more to the story then I know and will ever know. I'm alert and although I usually rely on my heart to make my decisions, I will have to follow my logic this time and be safe rather than sorry. I'm challenging myself quite a bit, i'm not ready to leave but I also know that this type of work environment (conflict regions) may not be the best fit for me. Its hard constantly thinking about security issues and wondering if something is going to break out. Its hard to focus when there's insecurity and as myself and my colleagues find it difficult to carry out our tasks due to the insecurity and instability, I can only imagine how difficult it is for a Sudanese citizen to build themselves and their family up when they don't have the support network that I have. I can't blame the people for the lack of development among them, i'm sure if they were in a more stable environment it would be easier. But when you have to constant flee and rebuild, you stop investing so much in rebuilding because you never know when you will have to flee.


With hope and in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment