Monday, June 6, 2011

Things are getting underway

For all of those that are following this blog and expecting every post to pertain to South Sudan, I apologize for not meeting those expectations. Although I use this blog as a forum to report my experiences in South Sudan, it is primarily my forum for expressing whatever is on my mind. So there will be posts that have nothing to do with South Sudan, just thoughts rumbling around in my mind, and then there will be posts such as this one that will touch upon what i'm doing here.


I'm working on a training for project managers and support staff in regards to reporting. I have the framework in place and now it is just a matter of creating the materials needed and altering the objectives and materials to be aligned with the needs of the particular project managers. I'm not going to say it has been the easiest. My first training is occuring in a county different from the one I am in and I haven't been able to meet with the support staff to get their input and won't be able to until I get to the site. In addition to the training being pushed back due to other meetings and a lack of fuel. I'm scheduled to travel beginning next week, so keep my fingers crossed so it does happen and I can leave this compound a little. A change of scenery is always good.
As I begin to plan for these various activities I realize that I do not have much time. I know we will lose a week in July due to independence and I'm on a plane out of here in August. Which leaves me a total of about 6 weeks give or take to conduct trainings in all the counties here and travel to other states to do trainings there. Some days I worry at the rate things are going I will not be able to get this done, but then I tell myself that I need to push to make it happen. Only in time will it be presented, but it is difficult being at the lower end of the power pole.

Do I like what i'm doing? Yes and no. My passion is education so to be able to train people is nice, I love creating education programs and keep telling myself that is what I'm doing. But this is not the role I see myself in long term. I have been "asked" to extend, I know this is not possible on several levels but most importantly because I would not be functioning in the capacity I want to.

On another note unrelated to here but kind of related. I found a PhD program at University of Maryland in the field of Minority and Urban Education and think that this may be the program for me. Although it focuses on urban school systems and minorities in the states, I believe that the program information can be applied across contexts and i'll be able to use my MA and experiences in addition to the information gained through this program to create education curriculum and programs for marginalized populations both stateside and abroad. We will see, I will go check it out when I get back to the states and see if it really is the right fit for me.

Ok. 2 days and counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment