Monday, June 13, 2011

Workshops, birthdays and Tonj

I may be suffering from writer's block, or writer's overload, I don't know. Can't quite figure what to write about but do not want to keep people in suspense about what's happening here. I hope this subpar update will suffice until something more exciting or juicy or interesting comes along.

Wednesday(6.8) I clocked in another year and although I could have spent my birthday doing big things in the states, I did not. I instead spent my day sitting in a meeting that lasted 6.5 hours. I won't go into the details of how this meeting was like having teeth pulled out or something poking me in the eyes, just know that when it was over I was the first one out the door. I was relieved and happy to be be able to leave the compound and celebrate my birthday with a nice cold beer before returning to a delicious birthday meal of rice and beans. Not complaining, my birthday was great and I will always remember it. I spent the remainder of the night reviewing a proposal for a project that is set to begin in July. The startup workshop was the following day and our WVUS(World Vision US) counterpart was unable to come, so I was asked to present and explain the sections of the project focusing on Health and WASH(Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) along with the US Govt. grant regulations. The workshop was attended by all stakeholders involved in the project (from government to community based groups) and it was a great experience.

I am now writing from one of our field offices (I thought this entire place was the field but this is the real field). I'm in a place called Tonj South, ask me where it's at on a map I couldn't tell you exactly, I just know its in the southern portion of Warrap state (south of Kuajok). My living conditions are good, not luxury like Kuajok, but they serve the purposes they are meant for. I sleep in a tent (there is a bed in my tent and it's actually pretty nice), poop in a latrine (a hole in the ground), and have no cell phone service (except in this one location in the camp). The internet only works when the generator is on and I haven't figured out the schedule for it yet. I do have a shower which is always a delight for me. The food is similar to that in Kuajok but more flavorful. The weather is a bit cooler here and I actually slept with a blanket last night. I will conduct a training for project officers here later on this week. So this will be my home for the next week or so, then I will head to another WV compound to conduct another training and to have a whole new experience again.


Home sweet home...for the next week or so :)

No comments:

Post a Comment